It can be very costly having to replace your heating and air conditioning unit. That makes it very important to perform regular preventive maintenance instead of just waiting for it to break down before attending to it. Some HVAC NYC maintenance can be done by the homeowner, but there are other things that should be completed by a trained New York Heating and air conditioning specialist.
In order to make sure that your unit is performing at its best throughout the year, maintenance should be done at least two times each year. The best time to do this is in the fall after the leaves have all fallen from the trees so that you can get them cleaned up from around your unit to help with airflow. Raking leaves as they accumulate is a good idea also.
Another time to do maintenance on your HVAC NYC unit is during the spring and before going into the hot summer months. This is a good time to schedule maintenance with your New York Heating and air conditioning contractor. They will check all components to make sure that they are working properly and can recommend replacement of worn parts. By maintaining your unit in optimum working order, you will be able to save a ton of money over having to spend extra for parts that fail due to disrepair.
Here are some things you can do to help maintain your unit throughout the year.
• Keep debris from building up around the outside of your HVAC NYC unit. Don’t wait until there are a lot of leaves or trash accumulating, clear it all out each time you are in your yard. This will make this task much easier and will help you keep an eye out for problems in the making.
• Check the condensing unit for debris and dirt as well and clean it out. All you have to do is remove the top of the unit and clean it out, but make sure that unit is not operating at the time.
• Check the balance of the fan blades by taking a look at them during operation. If you notice that the fan blades are making noise or are bouncing around, it is time to call a professional to repair them before they can cause other damage.
• Take a look at all the wiring connections to make sure they are tight. If they are not you can try to tighten them with a screwdriver, but broken ones should be replaced by a professional.
• Another important area that should be included in any HVAC NYC maintenance routine that is often overlooked is the ductwork. It may require that you crawl under the house or into the attic, but making sure that there are no leaks at joints or missing insulation will keep your heating and cooling bills under control.
These simple tips will help you stay on top of problems before they arise with your New York Heating unit. You should also consider getting a yearly maintenance service agreement with your HVAC NYC contractor. This is normally somewhere around $200 per year, and is well worth the investment since it can save much more than that in just one service call.
This article was written by Jeff Lafferty and provided exclusively to the website you are viewing it from. Mr Lafferty is a HVAC expert and frequently writes about HVAC NYC services.