To live hale and healthy is to stay energetic and young forever. Health consciousness should prompt you to take care of your body and ensure it is properly functioning. This consciousness applies to oral health as well. Many of us are unaware about the impact oral health has on various parts of the body. We know prevention is always better than cure and the fact applies to oral health as well. Here are important tips you may follow to achieve and maintain good oral health and oral aesthetics.
- The first and foremost point is to brush properly and after every meal. Brush at least twice a day, for a minimum of two minutes.
- Learn the proper ways to brush, floss, scrape your tongue and use mouth washes, and follow the instructions every time you do any of the above procedures.
- Floss between teeth at least once a day after a meal or a snack.
- Go for a periodontal or gum therapy which constitutes professional cleaning of your teeth (scaling), smoothening of root surfaces (root planning) and an antibiotic therapy (if applicable), at regular intervals, with the consultation of your dentist. This would strengthen your overall oral hygiene.
- It is advisable to remove decayed tooth if large open cavities or caries have formed over a period of time.
- Whenever a tooth filling is found to be worn or broken or chipped, it has to be immediately repaired by your dentist.
- Maintain your denture hygiene and follow proper cleaning and maintenance procedures for both full and partial dentures, and bridgeworks too if you have them.
- If wisdom tooth or the third molar occurswith gum flaps, it is best to remove the tooth as it may have adverse effects on your body when left neglected.
- Yeast infections or candidiasis may occur due to improper oral hygiene and fungal activity in your mouth and once you are diagnosed with such infections they should be treated as soon as possible.
- Bad breath, also called as halitosis, occurs from the surface of the tongue and with the growth of bacteria and worms in the digestive system. These may be due to vitamin deficiency or irregular tongue cleaning and mouth washing habits. Bad breath can be avoided by following a balanced diet and proper brushing and tongue cleaning habits.
- There are two popular ancient treatments for bad breath:
- To chew one or two cloves every morning, after brushing.
- To chew guava leaves which are soaked in water for a few minutes, every morning, after you brush.
- Avoid soft drinks which contain artificial sweeteners. Instead you can have plenty of water or sports drinks.
- Consult your dentist at least two to four times a year, depending upon the necessity and the dentist’s instructions.
- Avoid smoking as it would not only cause lung cancer and heart diseases, but also a high risk of oral cancer and tooth loss. In fact, smoking constitutes to 75% of all cancers that occur in the mouth. The same applies to the consumption of acid containing foods as well.Of those surveyed, 80 percent believe that patients who have undergone aesthetic dental services have better overall health than those who have not.
- Pregnant women need to take extra care oftheir oral aesthetics since dental health can have a great impact on the genes and the overall growth and health of the fetus. There are high risks of delivering a premature baby when the mother is affected by oral ailments and infections for a long time.
Thus oral aesthetics and hygiene plays a major role in persevering the entire tooth structure and the rest of the body as well.
Alisia Goodwin is a freelance blogger and currently writes for www.balmaindentist.com.au. Balmain Dentist’s teeth implants in sydney are very popular.